"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, October 5, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 5

“I rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock. I opened to my beloved; but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone … I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him, but he gave me no answer.” ~ Song of Solomon 5:5-6

Once He put His hand in at the lock of her door, she wanted Him to come in. Her attention was on Him and no longer on herself and the comforts of her life. “I rose up to open to my beloved…”

Myrrh and sweet smelling ointments dropped from her fingers unnoticed to the floor as she threw open the door to Him. Just the sight of His hand had caused her to remember that He is “altogether lovely.” But He was gone! “I opened to my beloved; but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone.” Then began another frantic search.

Does this sound familiar to you? Has God called to you at a most inconvenient time and found you not “at home” to Him? But has something, perhaps a word of Scripture or a song, a thought of His eyes or His hands, sent you running to the door to let Him in only to find that He “had withdrawn himself, and was gone”?

He had not forsaken her. He does not forsake us. “I will never leave nor forsake you.” But He will withdraw the sense of His presence in order to cause us to “search for [Him] with all our hearts.” Up to the time of this new, reckless search, we have wanted Him with almost all our hearts. All except the part reserved for our own comfort and ease. Now, she is beside herself with longing for Him and “charges” anyone she sees to tell Him she is “sick of love”. Comforts and intellectual achievement and good deeds and morality are fine but they do not satisfy our hearts. When we see Him, we are “sick of love” and that is cause to rejoice! There is healing in His hands and…

“God is love.”

No comments: