"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 4

“My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and [I was] moved for him.” ~ Song of Solomon 5:4

She was bathed and resting, clean and perfumed in her bed. Totally taken up with her own comfort and ease, she made excuses not to open the door to her Beloved who stood there knocking in the rain, needing to come in.

He had need of her, but she was not available. She was too comfortable and self-righteous. “I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?” What He wanted was no doubt difficult and might cause her great inconvenience. And she was ready for a night of rest. But, the love of God, being what it is (even in her selfishness), she was just about to be taught a lovely eternal lesson by her Beloved. At her most self-righteous and stubborn moment, His love moved toward her.

“My beloved put his hand by the hole of the door …” She had been refusing him entrance. But He did something to get her attention. He “put his hand by the hole of the door” and immediately she was moved with love for Him.

Up to that moment she had been conscious only of herself. Of her own comforts and of the luxuries she loved so much. Her clean linens and her “sweet smelling myrrh.” But then she saw just His hand and her heart came alive toward Him.

I [Eugenia Price, the author] cannot count the times I have been “too comfortable” to open the door to Jesus when He has needed me for Himself or for one of His needy ones. But then, in the midst of my alibis, now and then He has showed me His hand! There is only one hand like His. No other has nail-prints in it. When I see it I have no more alibis. Anyone who has been washed in His blood, recognizes His hand. And it’s all right if we have just “washed [our] feet.” We can “defile them” easily and joyfully for Jesus! There are marks on His feet too.

“[I] Rejoice in the Lord always … [and] bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.”

No comments: