"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 3


“I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?” ~ Song of Solomon 5:3

“It is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love …” She well recognizes His voice. And yet she answers with trite alibis: “I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?”

In other words, she has already retired and is not willing to receive anyone in the Name of her Beloved. Not even the Beloved Himself!

“I have put off my coat …” She’s too comfortable to be disturbed. “… how shall I put it on?” Who wants to be disturbed by getting dressed again? The Lord is standing at the door knocking, but we know that someone who is so difficult for us, is standing there with Him and we find all kinds of excuses not to answer the door!

Not to be available when He needs us. Not to make that phone call or write that note of apology. Not to have “them” to dinner any more because they are not receptive to the Gospel. Or dull conversationalists. Not to invite the salesman in out of the cold rain for a cup of hot coffee and a word about the Good News. Not to associate with those we feel are “beleath us.”

“I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?” How it must grieve the Lord as He stands their knocking when those “who have been washed in the blood of the Lamb” feel that they are “too good” to associate with some of the unattractive loved ones He brings along. We pull our skirts aside and fear to get our good clothes soiled by personal contact with those who have fallen into the filth of life. We prefer to write a check or pray at home where it’s clean and restful. We have washed our feet! How shall we defile them?

“Feed my sheep … Feed my lambs … Feed my sheep.”

No comments: