"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: February 26

"Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me" ~ John 21:22
Peter was afraid John would get something he missed. He doubted the love of Jesus for a moment, as he learns from the Master Himself about his own (Peter's) death, and wants to be sure John gets no less. Jesus' "diamond-sharp" answer is our "stone" for contemplation this time. "If I will that he (John) tarry till I come, what is that to thee (Peter)? Follow thou me." Peter's predicament is so human and understandable, Jesus understood it, too. What's why He went straight to the only point that would help Peter: Complete and uncomplaining obedience to Himself. How often have you attempted to inquire of the Lord about some Christian brother or sister whose lot seems to be better than yours? How often have we carefully told the Lord everything that is wrong in the attitudes and conducts of our brothers and sisters? And how often have we heard the Lord Jesus gently, but firmly reply, as He did to Peter: "What is that to thee? Follow thou me." Once in particular did He prompt me [Eugenia Price, the author] with this verse. In my prayer, I was explaining in colorful terms, the shortcomings of a Christian brother. Then came the Word: "What is that to thee? Follow thou me!" And more yet: "If you see his failings, it is only because I have given you the insight to see them. Your part is to turn your criticism into true intercession." There was still more to come: "And even after you have prayed in love for this brother, he may still go on behaving in the same way. But your only concern is to see to it that you increase your own value to me to help make up for his defects!" The Lord Jesus is not being hard here. He is showing His need for us, and He is showing His love.
"If I will that he tarry till I come what is that to thee? Follow thou me ... The fields ... are white already to harvest ... but the labourers are few."

No comments: