"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, January 13, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 13

"Wither shall I go from thy spirit? Or wither shall I flee from thy presence?" ~ Psalm 139:7
Until very recently I recoiled now and then at the thought that I could not get away from the Presence of God. Anyone who has lived away from Him as an adult will understand this. The down-pull in us draws us back to run here and there --- wildly at times, in search of an old, familiar place where He won't haunt us by His nearness. But He said: "Lo, I am with you always ... " And He is. He is there a the close of every willful act against Him. Walking beside us as we try to walk away from a job He has asked us to do. He is there at the bottom of every empty bottle for every alcoholic who has received Him as Saviour, but who is still not following Him as Lord. "If I make my bed in hell, behold thou art there." There are no "cozy corners" where we can get away fro Him. And at last I am glad. Because if I could get away from Him, that would mean He had forsaken me too. And He does not break His promises. "I will never leave or forsake you" and in the moment between you and your pillow at night after you have forsaken Him, you will know that He never breaks His promises to us. You will know He never leaves us. You will know He is still there. I know it too. "... When I wake, I am still with thee." Never, never never alone.
"I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

No comments: