"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 14

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer" ~ Psalm 19:14
For a few years this verse seemed one of those less pungent ones to me. I had heard it repeated at numberless women's meetings where I spoke and like some other much-memorized verses, it had never done anything startling to me. But that is the way of our growth in Christ. Daily reading of the Bible, whether we get anything from it consciously or not, is a "must," because everything we read or hear drops down into our subconscious minds and then on the day when we need it, the Holy Spirit "explodes" it up into our consciousness with sharp, fresh meaning. As I began to grasp the desperate necessity to bring my thought life into captivity to Christ, this verse from the Psalms leaped from the page and began its "diamond-cleavage" of several other verses far over in the New Testament! David wrote it. And David knew what he was capable of doing when for a brief time he did not keep his heart fixed on God. Therefore David cried --- and I don't believe he chanted it --- I believe he cried: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer!" David knew that his words would indicate the condition of his heart. He knew he could not redeem his own thoughts. He had no strength to do it. And so he cried to the Lord, acknowledging his own need of a strong redeemer. Do you dare pray this prayer right now? Do I?
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way of the everlasting."

No comments: