"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 12

"For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it" ~ Psalm 139:4-6
Sometime ago I had the unique experience of conducting a Deeper Life Conference with teenagers at Mound Keswick in Minnesota. Each young person was already a believer in Jesus Christ. We were all there to go deeper. Or higher, as my deer friend Dr. Walter Wilson, once corrected me. In going "higher" we went deeply into the fact that only God, through the Holy Spirit, can re-form our unconscious depths. We spoke of the shadows and darkness and filth lurking there. And one young lady stopped listening at that point and came to me later trembling with fear at what might be in her subconscious! She had shut her ears just when the glory part came. Without the indwelling Holy Spirit at work in our depths, there is a reason for panic. Psychiatry can bring up the twisted ugliness and just bringing it up "for air" relieves some tension and lessens the immediate danger. But the best psychiatry can do is to leave the complexes and neuroses there squirming on the table. Only the blood of Jesus Christ redeems. And there are no depths too dark nor too far down for His blood to cleanse. These depths are unfathomable to the human mind. But not to God. He is there right now working in the depths of you and here working in the depths of me. What a glorious relief! I can just go on. By faith.
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it"

No comments: