"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 11

"O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways" ~ Psalm 139:1-3
Read all of Psalm 139. And then read it again. And again. It is a study in depth psychology. It is a frightening study until we grasp the tremendous fact that God knows all of the unfathomable depths of our beings. Our subconscious minds are like baskets. Into them has dropped everything we have ever heard, spoken or thought. And we cannot control them. But God knows all about subconscious minds as well as conscious minds. He created them in the first place. They are not too much for Him at all. He knows. That has come to be a daily greater relief to me. He is "acquainted with all my ways" and still He loves me. Each time something frightening floats to the surface of my subconscious mind and registers its ugly self on my consciousness, I deliberately remind myself that God is not shocked by the things I am just now seeing about me. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." He is unshockable and unshakable, and He is, in the Person of the blessed Holy Spirit, constantly at work in the shadowy depths of our subconscious minds. This is His domain if we are Christians. Here we have no control. And even when consciously we feel out of touch with God, we can absolutely rest on the fact that he is not out of touch with us. He is there in the depths right now working. We have His own word for the fact that He is there:
"... If any man ... open the door, I will come in ... I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

No comments: