"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, November 26, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: November 26

“But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ (by grace ye are saved;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus” ~ Ephesians 2:4-6

Strikingly vivid at the close of this “many-colored pleasant stone” is one line, and one spot of strong “color” in that line, which I [Eugenia Price, the author] overlooked for a long time. “… and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”

Of course, I knew this verse and the glorious truth in it. Of course, I believed even though I did not understand that God had raised me up so that I could be seated “in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” I knew this. I believed it, but except for personal consolation and comfort, it had no real bearing on my daily life.

Then I caught the glint of light in this “color spot” among the other high “colors” in the same “pleasant stone.” At last I saw the dreadful futility of trying to live up to human heritage as a slap in the face of God! It isn’t royalty and the names on the pages of the Social Register who alone “try to live up to their high standing.” Look around you in your own church or community. Look in your own family. People are exhausting themselves trying to “live up to” ancestry or means or acquired position in human life.

Beacon Hill in Boston is the most charming place in America as far as I’m concerned. And it retains its charms as long as one retains one’s sense of humor about the exhausting effort still straining up and down its quaint and winding streets, proving itself to be a stout, hardy “proper Bostonian” effort in all kinds of weather. Old line Bostonians are not alone in this futility of living up to a heritage. But how “alone” are the few Christians among us who “live up to” our heavenly position!

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.”

No comments: