"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, November 2, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: November 2

"I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name. I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts” ~ Isaiah 65:1-2

What can it mean that the God who loved us even to the Cross, should have to stand before us and cry “Behold me, behold me”? How can we reconcile this with our own heart’s cry to God to “hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications… O Lord, O Lord”?

At least I [Eugenia Price, the author] believe if we were to let the Holy Spirit show us the side of God’s heart which cries to us, “Behold me, behold me,” we would not have to cry for God’s attention. On the Cross, God proved that we already have His attention. Christ has come. We no longer have to plead for God’s mercy. He has given it forever in Jesus’ life poured out. It is also clear in Christ that we never need to beg from God. God has already given.

And my shame is great when I realize that so often, this same God still stands before me saying: “I have spread out my hands all the day … I have spread out my hands all the day … Behold me … behold me.”

My shame grows greater when at last I behold Him and see again what I seem to forget so quickly, that in those hands spread out “all the day” are still the nail-prints from the Great Giving on Calvary. Did I really forget? Did you really forget? Spread out your own hands right now in your imagination toward someone you love. Try to conceive no response at all. See that person pass you by once and twice and then “all the day … in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts … rebellious.” Then hear God’s words …

“I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people … the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep … yea, for the rebellious also.”

No comments: