"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 8

 “And grieve not the holy spirit of God …” ~ Ephesians 4:30

What does this really mean? Why would an admonition like this be among our “green stone” verses for rejoicing?

Let’s look at what “grieving the Holy Spirit” means in a practical, daily way. The Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ and the Father are One. We cannot understand this, but we can accept it. And when we begin to act on our acceptance of it, we begin to know it is true. They are One and cannot contradict one another.

The Holy Spirit would never instruct us to do anything that would be unlike Jesus. Jesus and the Father are One. So, grieving the Holy Spirit of God, is grieving God Himself. It is grieving Jesus Christ who saved us. If your heart, “is moved” toward your Beloved, Jesus Christ, you do not want willingly to hurt Him. To grieve Him.

Just a few minutes ago as I [Eugenia Price, the author] was writing this page, a call came from someone who asked me for help. Someone for whom I had been praying. But he asked for my help at the exact time I intended to have six or seven full hours free to work on this book! I tried to refuse the request. I did a year of rationalizing in thirty seconds. Then I picked up the telephone and said, “All right. We’ll talk as long as you need to talk.”

I wanted to talk to this person. He had simply asked to see me at the “wront” time. But the “voice of my beloved” called to me in this troubled voice. Christ in me let me know that this was from Him and He has captured my heart. He has been “formed” in me sufficiently so that most of the time I recognize His voice. If He were remote from me, I would not. His presence increases my love for Him. It hurts me now, to grieve Him.

“Behold, I stand at the door and knock … I rose up to open to my beloved … his banner over me is love.”

No comments: