"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, October 12, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 12

“He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings” ~ Psalm 40:2

This is a true emerald among our “green stone” verses. It is a witness for me [Eugenia Price, the author]. My heart sings that Jesus Christ does not wait for us to crawl out of the pit to walk to Him.

He reaches down into the “pit” and puts His strong arms under us and lifts us out. With the same arms He “sets our feet upon a rock” and the rock is Himself. But because our feet have been set upon a rock, we are not made stationary as I used to fear. We are stabilized but not stationary. He “established my goings” the Psalmist sang.

“He established my goings” I also sing. Now for the first time in my life, I can go. And I am “established [in] my goings.” Who can travel far in a “pit”? No one should attempt to describe that “pit” because actually, although it is “an horrible pit” to us, God blessedly never lets us see how horrible it really is! I am sure we would have broken under it before He lifted us out if we could have seen all of it. The literal translation of “an horrible pit” is an horrible pit of noise. As I write this page, I am “writing over” a very noisy radiator near my desk. Perhaps there is a “noise” in your life as you read, far more annoying or crushing than my “noisy radiator.” Constant noise can be devastating and destructive. I can witness to the destructive “noise” in the “pit” from which Christ lifted me. In fact, so great and so constant was the noise and confusion down in that “pit” that for a long time after He lifted me out, I missed it! Check yourself if you have to have sound around you constantly. A radio or a television or incessant telephone conversations. God has lifted us up out of a “pit of noise.” Let us learn to be with him in the quietness of our spirits.

“Be still and know that I am God.”

No comments: