"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 10

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” ~ Romans 8:18

I [Eugenia Price, the author] make no attempt at scholarly interpretation. I am not a scholar. But I am a witness to the power of this verse to give us victory in the daily “sufferings of the present time.”

I am sure that the sufferings of our earthly life will fade from our memories when we see Jesus. “That will be glory for me.” I have never longed for Heaven, except to see Jesus as He is. In His glory.

But my heart sings and places this verse among our “green stones” for rejoicing because I have found very practically, from my own experience, that it also has to do with “glory which shall be revealed in us” now. In this earthly life. Not that we will be glorified. But that we shall experience glory because of Christ in us. And most particularly I have included this verse among our “green stones” because as each day goes by in the sharing of these verses, I am more and more convinced that God reveals His glory through suffering. When my own heart aches it is not quite enough consolation for me to remind myself that nothing is permanent but change, and that one day I’ll go to heaven and this struggle on earth will be over. That is true. But more is true which helps me now. If Christ is in me now, “glory [is] … revealed in us.”

Glory is not merely a blaze of light. Henry Drummond calls it the “character” of God. Heaven would be dark without Christ. His character is the light. And it shines now in me, because He is in me. And He is “revealed in me” as I stop resisting the “sufferings of this present time” and see them for what they are: letters of introduction to His glory!

“Heirs of god, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer WITH him, that we may also be glorified together.”

No comments: