"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: September 22

“By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not. I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him but I found him not.” ~ Song of Solomon 3:1-2

Is there reason for rejoicing in this “green stone” passage? At first we might see nothing but quiet desperation. Sleepless nights, spend envying those we know who are at peace with God. Sleepless nights endured, as we toss back and forth fuming with discontent.

Looking more closely we see even more desperation. This time it isn’t even quiet desperation. It has turned frantic. “I will rise now and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek Him whom my soul loveth.” Seeking and not finding.

Seeming to prove Jesus’ words false: “Seek and ye shall find.” We run around in circles from this conference to that church, to this counselor, to that book! We seek Him but we seem to find Him not. How could this possibly be cause for rejoicing? How is it that we have placed these strange, restless verses among our “green stones” for praise and victory?

The answer is simple. This picture of desperate searching is a glorious picture to God. This searcher is searching for the Beloved Himself. She is on a “hunger-march” around the city streets and the broad ways looking into every face for the one Face her “soul loveth.”

God is every minute yearning to fill us with Himself. But He waits until we see our utter helplessness. He waits for the time of our true hungering and thirsting after righteousness. Since He “has been made unto us … righteousness,” He waits until we are hungry enough for Him!

“O God, thou art my God’ early will I seek thee: … my flesh longeth for thee … My soul followeth hard after thee.”

No comments: