"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: August 8

"... Thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore. There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin. For mine iniquities are gone over my head; as any heavy burden they are too heavy for me.  My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness. I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long... I am feble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart" ~ Psalm 38:2-6, 8

Who but David has ever so described the suffering that dogs the self indulgence of the disobedient child of God?  Those of us who have ceased living by the rhythm of the giving heart and have taken for a period, know what David means. Thos of us who have taken that which our flesk has desired, know the singular pain from the "arrows" of God which "stick fast" in our hearts.

We cry out against what we think is the anger of God and yet those disobedient hearts of ours remind us monotously that it is our "iniquities that have gone over our heads" seemingly to cut us off from the love of God. "... as an heavy burden" these hearts are too heavy for us. They condemn us. We cry "Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee." After we have taken what our flesh desired, we complain to God over our heavy hearts."

"Come unto me, all ye that labor, and are heavy laden..." Our hearts turn back at the sound of that familiar voice! We cry "I am ready to halt, and [yet] my sorrow us continued before me." Then we grow honest and specific with God: "I will declare my iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin."

The arrows fall from our battered hearts and the blood from His Heart covers the wounds of our iniquities made. We hear the dear familiar voice once more ...

"Come unto me ... my burden is light."

No comments: