"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: June 2

"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day" ~ 2 Timothy 1:12
Throwing still more light upon yesterday's "blue stone" verse, this one, placed beside it rests me [Eugenia Price, the author] with the great quiet I see in its very depths. Knowing Him, we can rest. Because of His character. This builds faith of itself.

But a light dances above this verse which shows me how to lay hold of this quiet in the depths of my own sometimes troubled heart. Paul uses the word "suffer" often. He suffered often. He could use it. But following the use of the word "suffer," he invariably uses a word which at least implies "nevertheless".

"... nevertheless, I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed." Paul has "believed" the One who never stops working in our behalf. But here the new light forces me to face this: "I must have truly committed something before I can rest. Jesus Christ is able to keep it, whatever it is. but if the torment or the pleasure or the person or the thing which causes our spiritual unrest is still in our hands, there is no rest.  Jesus Christ remains the same. Still able to "keep that which we have committed." But if you've taken it back, if I've taken it back, we are once more thrown into the confusion of heart, even though Jesus Christ remains trust worthy. He does not change. he is every minute and forever able to keep whatever we commit to Him. But He will not grab it from us. We must give it to Him willingly. We may be weeping when we do it, but until we do it, we will know no rest.

"... I ... am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him..."

No comments: