"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, June 1, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: June 1

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" ~ Philippians 1:6
Here to begin our sharing for the month of June is a "blue stone" verse which can cause our faith to leap with joy! Hold it to the light.  Turn it.


Happily, Paul doesn't instruct us to "be confident," he is again simply witnessing. He speaks about himself and Timothy as "being confident." Absolutely confident that Jesus Christ will continue His "good work" in the Philippian Christians. Paul seams pleased with their progress. "I thank my god upon every remembrance of you." He longs to be with them. "For God is my record, how greatly I long after you ..." And yet, the fact that these particular Christians are growing does not in any way lessen the tremendous faith-enriching impact of our "blue stone" verse above.

Neither does it apply only to the Philippians. Nor to those among us who are only growing visibly. It applies to anyone in whom Christ has begun His "good work." He will continue what He has begun. Not because we deserve it. But because of who He is!

I [Eugenia Price, the author] can trust Christ to continue His "good work" in me, not because my faith is high, but because "I know whom I have believed ..." The point is not our spiritual temperature at the moment, but the identity of Jesus Christ.

"... for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

No comments: