"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: March 18

"God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land" ~ Psalm 68:6
God has already taken your particular "captivity captive." You may walk out of your prison, whatever it is. You and I [Eugenia Price, the author] need never yield again to that temptation. And it is the glorious truth that He did this "for the rebellious also." I share your shame when I admit (as you may) that even though He has redeemed me, I still rebel at times before I finally obey Him. I argue with Him and with any human being near by that "I must be fulfilled." That somewhere someone is missing the point in all this. I say it is I. What I mean is that in my special case, God must have somehow neglected to put me into the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, that special something which I need to fulfill me. The facts are that only He knows what will fulfill our true selves. The "selves" He created in the beginning. We allow sin to create "familiar false selves." And when we rebel, we are not allowing for the fact that He is working His way down through the layers of sin and phony virtues and selfishness to reach our true selves and set us free. Perhaps your special rebellion is that you are alone. Perhaps you are a widow or an unmarried woman who thinks God should have sent you a mate. Perhaps you are a lone man --- and rebellious also. Perhaps you are a young person without a family to care for you. Whatever the circumstance, it is causing you to rebel. But listen, He is faithful, isn't He? We can depend upon Him to fulfill our every longing according to what He knows to be the very choicest way. But not as long as we are rebelling. Do believe right now that out of all this, He has some lovely lesson to teach you. Drop your rebellion. Tell Him you do trust Him to know best. And remember ... remind yourself over and over that:
"God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land."

No comments: