"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: February 16

"But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them" ~ Matthew 13:29
Jesus had just told the parable of the wheat and the tares. And His disciples in those days wanted to leap up and do just what His disciples are still doing. They wanted to plunge right in and pull out the "tares" themselves. Perhaps I [Eugenia Price, the author] am guilty of indulging in the very point I am warning about --- judging. If I am, God forgive me and show me. But as I have gone from church to church and from denomination to denomination I have been reminded of this warning of Jesus to his disciples the day they wanted to flex their muscles and "get in there and fight" and help the Lord do the work which the Father Himself gave over completely to Christ. The Father has turned all judgment over to our Savior. Could it be that we haven't taken the Father seriously in this act of His? Once more Jesus is warning us because He knows what is in man. "Don't uproot anything now --- you might tear up some of my precious wheat while you're at it." So often my heart has bled because one "doctrinally correct' brother whom I love is flexing his "judging" muscles against another brother whom I also love. And in the process, almost invariably, I learn of one or two non-Christians who jump quickly to use the "doctrinally correct" brother's fighting spirit as an excuse not to become a Christian. AI jumped at it myself once many years ago as I laughingly turned the page on a newspaper account of one group blasting the marginal beliefs of another in the same denomination. My remark went something like this, "How do those Christians expect me to agree with them when they can't even agree with each other?"
"... NAY; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them."

No comments: