"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 21

"Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted, that are far from righteousness" ~ Isaiah 46:12
Almost every alma mater song in the world has the phrase "shouthearted" tucked or squeezed somewhere into its shakey rhyme scheme. A phrase designed to create a swelling in the chest and a "go get 'em" spirit among those who unite their "stouthearts" in song. Now, don't misunderstand me. I loved three alma mater songs very much. As I remember, all three had something to do with what I fancied to be my "stoutheart" --- and the "stouthearts" of my classmates. Actually, I remember the school song when I [Eugenia Price, the author] was in Lincoln Junior High back in Charleston, West Virginia and it had its "stouthearted" phrase couched in words which urged us all ." to "have sand"! This, I assume, meant "grit." At any rate, a kind of synonym for a stoutheart, and it rhymed with "land," which it needed to do. We've all been taught that stoutheartedness is a characteristic much to be desired and sung about. And far be it from me to frown upon true courage. But God warns sharply that we are to "hearken unto Him" if we have begun to depend on our own stouthearts! Upon our own abilities. You are not alone if you have fallen into that pit too. I fell with a thud as I began the writing of this very book. Two weeks of meditations went quite easily and then God had to cause me to "hearken unto Him." My "stoutheart" was broken and melted, until I remembered that I couldn't write about the things of God even with my "stoutheart." Especially with my "stoutheart"! "Christ in me" --- my only hope of anything became everything again. I remembered "it is not I, but Christ." We will go on sharing now. "Hearkening to Him" ... remembering that we are not our own. We have been bought with a price.
"Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted, that are far from righteousness: I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off."

No comments: