"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, October 22, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 22

“For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?” ~ Romans 3:3

I [Eugenia Price, the author] did not believe in Christ until I was thirty three years old. For this reason, I place this verse written by one who also “did not believe” for most of his adult life, in the collection of “green stones” for rejoicing.

“For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?” The more accurate translation of the word “faith” here is “faithfulness.” Those of us who “did not believe” know that our unbelief did not affect God’s faithfulness in any way. And we rejoice that it did not.

No one denies that the lack of belief among the peoples of the earth breeds more unbelief. Over and over we hear: “But so few people believe that Christ died for our sins.”

That’s right. Pathetically few believe it. But according to the Word of God that doesn’t make one bit of difference. “Shall their unbelief make the faithfulness of God of none effect?”

I remember well one sharp, isolated moment when I argued: “But I don’t believe that.” My friend looked at me and smiled and said: “I know you don’t. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.” It was true. Whether or not I believed it.

Now that I do believe, I know. And I have “entered in.” And rest. So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.”

No comments: