"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: December 31

“For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come” ~ Hebrews 13:14

Our earthly life is ending with the passing of every day and every year. Another year is ending now.

Perhaps it has been a good year, as we think of “good years.” It may have been a “bad year.” Whatever it has been, in it God has given us the opportunity to learn many lessons. Some we have learned. Some we have refused to learn.

No doubt right now, as this year is actually in motion toward its ending, we are more aware than usual that “here we have no continuing city.” Christians are not at home here. Christians are at home with God.

“Here we have no continuing city,” but that does not mean we are not going to the Father. This earthly life is a school. We are learning to speak the language of heaven. We are in the process of being re-made in His image, so that we will feel “at home” when we step out of the fussiness and confusion of the earth into the glory and clarity of heaven. If we have not been good students during the year just ending, we can be in the one just beginning. With Him, life is too be one constant new beginning. Nothing changes Jesus Christ.

If we have been unteachable in the year now ending, we will find Him just as willing to repeat the lessons in the year about to begin. He is just the same today as He was yesterday and He will be just the same tomorrow. We have no “continuing city” here on this earth, but because He is the beginning and because He is the end, by His Grace we can always go on.

”… Continue ye in my love … Continue ye in my love.”


New Year's Prayer

Lord, this year I want to change,
and I've said that in the past.
but now my prayer is different
'cause I understand at last.

I wanted my own way before,
I ignored your loving plans.
But now I'm putting everything
into your nail-scarred hands.

I promise to obey you
out of gratitude and love.
I won't be giving orders
to my Father up above.

I finally realize the truth
and so I've changed my prayer.
The safest place for me to be
is in your gentle care.

Please be my shepherd, Jesus,
that's all I ask of you.
In good times and in bad this year,
Take my hand and lead me through.
Amen.

--Jack Zavada

May the blessings of our Lord Jesus and God the Father guide, bless, uphold and sustain you.  Put the Word in your hearts and guard it, nurture it, and feed it brother and sister Christians.  As this year closes, I am taking a week to contemplate the direction or if I am to continue.  It has been my blessing to serve and I am grateful for what I have learned as I undertook this endeavor, my blog.  I need prayer to ask and listen to what the Lord may desire of me.  May your life continue to grow and conform to the image of His beloved son Christ Jesus, and may we all meet and rejoice together in His presence one day. 

No comments: