"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: December 29

“The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death” ~ 1 Corinthians 15:26

This is a darkly shaded “pleasant stone.” One resembling a shadowy “fire opal” to me [Eugenia Price, the author]. One I cannot fully look into. One I would not fully want to look into. But one which I cherish among my “pleasant stones” and will cherish until I have experienced it myself.

In one sense death has already been destroyed. Surely its sting is gone for those who know in their hearts that Jesus Christ is “the resurrection and the life.”

Some disagree, but I believe quite simply that I will not even lose consciousness when I die. The essential “me” will go on at once, un inhibited by my body, and my mind, into the presence of the One who has given me eternal life.

This is part of my joy in Christ. I believe it for myself and I am prepared to lose my loved ones, sustained by the same certainty that they too, will step at once into His presence. I am not arguing with you if you don’t believe this. But the Lord Himself reassures me that “whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.” I believe that, and yet, whatever He does will be right. If I have a wrong conception of eternal life, then I have an inferior conception. He will handle it all perfectly. And one day dying will be all over. More than the sting of death will be gone. Death itself will be destroyed.

“I am he that liveth, and was dead, and … am alive for evermore … We shall be like him.”

No comments: