"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: October 17

“At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight” ~ Matthew 11:25-26

For this I [Eugenia Price, the author] rejoice and hasten to place these words of the Lord Jesus among our “green stone” verses. Those of us who are completely untrained theologically feel the impact of joy in these words and cannot help giving thanks.

Just a few years ago, I didn’t know in which Testament Matthew could be found. But “Father … so it seemed good in thy sight:: to reveal Your truth even to me and I thank You.

This does not mean those who are “the wise and prudent” can’t know it. It is the childlike heart God seeks. He is definitely in favor of trained minds. By giving me eternal life, he has taught me to think more clearly than I learned to do in almost seven years of university life. And I enjoy using my mind as never before. This is no discrimination against education on God’s part as some who are uneducated would like to think. God does not love the “down and outer” one bit more than He loves the “up and outer.” “While we were [all] sinners, Christ died for us.” We must never forget that the ground is level at the foot of His Cross.

The mind is not directly involved at all in this point Jesus is making. Except that He saw, as anyone sees, how much more difficult it is for a trained mind to receive “revealed truth.” My friend who led me to Christ suggested wisely just minutes before my conversion, that I “stack my intellectual blocks in the corner and try Him.” I did, and of course, when Christ came, truth came too. “I am the … truth …” Academic degrees or lack of them are beside the point. Is your heart an expectant, receptive, trusting child’s heart?

“Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter in.”

No comments: