"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: September 27

“This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem” ~ Song of Solomon 5:16b

Words failed her, but He did not. When we are challenged with the question: “What is thy beloved more than another beloved?” we can only rejoice, because we have been driven to find out that He cannot be described.

We must let Him say, “Before Abraham was, I am.”

But there is something we can do with our lives. We can do exactly what the woman in the Song does. After her beautiful, but futile attempt to capture Jesus Christ in words, she stops for a moment. I [Eugenia Price, the author] can see her look around quickly and I can hear her sight with relief when suddenly she sees He is there beside her. I believe this is when she said, “Yea, he is altogether lovely.” Then she must have simply pointed toward Him as He stood there as only He is, and said with no adjectives flying: “This is my beloved, and this is my friend.”

Words failed her. Words fail us. I was led to Christ much as these “daughters of Jerusalem” were led. I was being sarcastic and then someone’s life pointed toward Christ and said: “This is my beloved, this is my friend.” That’s why I quite understand the question voiced by the “daughters of Jerusalem.” After she had pointed to Him so simply as her beloved and her friend, after her own personal quiet and peace returned, after her eyes were back on Jesus, the miracle occurred. They asked: “Whither is thy beloved gone, O thou fairest among women? Whither is thy beloved turned aside? That we may seek him with thee.” They couldn’t see Him standing there with her. Their eyes were still blinded. But he was there with her. And they saw the peace come back into her eyes. He had done His own drawing. He will do it in your life and mine if we let our lives point directly to His altogether lovely Person.

“… I, if I be lifted up … will draw …”

No comments: