"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, September 14, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: September 14, 2012

“My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away” ~ Song of Solomon 2:10

“The voice of my beloved!” If we have not learned to recognize His voice in the cries for help from the unlovely, we have not learned all He wants us to know about His heart. If we have not leaned to recognize His voice calling us to dull, daily routine, with the same enthusiasm with which He calls us to the top of the mountain --- we have not realized that He wants to light up drudgery and monotony for His loved ones.

Over and over we stumble here, because we are trying to endure the ugly and the routine; we “hurry through” the mundane to get to that “spiritual time” alone with our Beloved, all the while, He has been calling to us in the doorbell and the telephone and the children.

“The voice of [your] beloved” calling in that friend who has nothing to do but sit by her tlelphone and tell you about her troubles. “The voice of [your] beloved” in the shrill of your child’s scream which tells you the older one “has done it again.” “The voice of [your] beloved” in a call to serve on a dull committee with not even the possibility of half-hearted applause because this committee is never recognized at an annual meeting.

“The voice of [our] beloved” calling us to “rise up … and come away.” Come away from what? Come away to a bright peak of heavenly bliss where the phone won’t ring and the children won’t cry and there isn’t even one hammer or typewriter or dishpan? No. “My beloved spake, and said … Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away: from self-pity and our own mental moiling! He did not promise to change our daily lives or our lots in them. He promised to change us. If we will “come away” with Him in the midst of our daily dullness.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.”

No comments: