"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, September 10, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: September 10

 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” ~ Isaiah 55:8-9

This is a real cause for rejoicing and praise. It may not seem so at first glance, but look again. If you have never seen God “turn out to be right” when your highest plans were all wrong, you most probably have just not been very observant of results.

It is a great relief to me [Eugenia Price, the author] that my thoughts are not His thoughts. Not only because my thoughts are so inferior to His, but because I was created to worship someone outside and higher than myself. And if my thoughts were equal to God’s, there would be no one for me to worship.

But more than this, I rejoice in this “green stone” verse because I know the terror inherent in living one’s own life. I know this because I lived my own life as I wanted to live it for eighteen of my so-called adult years. I had nothing higher than the top of my own head on which I could depend and as a consequence, I died a little every day I lived. I was destroying myself by the very fact that my thoughts and my ways were not God’s thoughts and God’s ways.

He is life. Anything outside of Him is death. I love Him and give praise for the magnitude of his utterly simple sounding statement. “… my thoughts are not your thoughts, saith the Lord, neither are your ways my ways.”

Anyone who has ever lived his own life, knows that he does not really mean himself well. We destroy ourselves by grabbing, because we cannot give. The love of God is a totally giving love. There is nothing in our nature that is totally “giving.” By nature we “take.” Only God can truly mean us well. All the way.

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”

No comments: