"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: July 8


“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound” ~ Isaiah 61:1
Jesus rose one day in the synagogue and read these lines from the prophet Isaiah. What He read is our “purple stone” verse for a few days of sharing.

“(And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read … he found the place where it was written,) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he that sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.”

This is the passage Jesus chose to read. And as He read those ancient lines, He gave them life. He added to them, not only the phrase, “the recovering the sight to the blind,” but He added a quality which He backed up with His own life less than three years later!

Not knowing the original, I [Eugenia Price, the author] have no explanation for the New Testament addition of Jesus’ line, “recovering of sight to the blind.” Perhaps this was written in the scroll from which He read that day in the synagogue. This much I do know, however, and would share with you, as we look at the different ffacets of this ancient “purple stone” verse from Isaiah: Jesus Christ did “come a light into the world”! Having been one of the “people who walked in darkness,” I have now seen “a great light.” I know He has come and I know He is light. In His presence, all darkness has lost its power. I can rejoice that it is Jesus Christ ---

“Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness … in whom there is no darkness at all. [Who came] to preach … recovering of sight to the blind.”

No comments: