"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: July 4

"For I know that my redeemer liveth ..." ~ Job 19:25a
Nothing that could happen to us could be worse than what happened to Job. And in the midst of his ghastly pain and sorrow and perplexity, he still cried: "... I know that my redeemer liveth ..."  This little "purple stone" holds the key to God's answer to all human suffering. I have only begun to see into this answer, but I am convinced that one word in this verse opens our vision. As I see it, there is no other way to begin to understand where God is in our suffering.

The word is not "know" as some might believe. We need to know, to exercise our faith. But we cannot do this when our hearts are smashed except we have first come to see that God is still a redeemer! The word is redeemer!

Mysteriously, but certainly, He redeemed our sin as He hung on the Cross, pouring out His own blood for our sake. A redemptive power was let loose in the world when Jesus cried: "It is finished." And more and more I [Eugenia Price, the author] see that the redemptive power is operative in our circumstances as well as our sin!

Whatever He touches He changes and makes new. Whatever He touches He redeems and makes useful. Nothing is ever wasted in the presence of Jesus Christ. Not even your great weeping. Not even your physical pain. If you give it to Him, He will redeem it and make truly creative use of it.


"For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron ... A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the Lord will hasten it in his time."

No comments: