"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: June 12

"... for I have learned, in whatsoever stat I am, therewith to be content" ~ Philippians 4:11b
Can we look to the very depths of this little "blue stone" verse and say this of ourselves? Have I [Eugenia Price, the author] learned to be content in Christ in the midst of anything? Have you learned to be content in Christ no matter what's going on around you? Have you? Have I?

We can learn. Paul did not have a "corner on the market" of the obedient heart. Anyone can obey God. Even the weakest among us. Particularly the weakest among us, according to Paul. Because the very same man who wrote our "blue stone" verse at the top of the page, also wrote: "... when I am weak, then I am strong." God had proven to Paul that His "strength was made perfect in weakness." Our strength only gets in God's way.

Bring it down to a very everyday matter. One which can be really tragic as well as laughable. If you're overweight (as I have been), have you "learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content?" Or do you look at that thin person eating piles of whipped cream and grind your teeth in discontent? Does your heart as well as your stomach growl, "This shouldn't happen to a dog, much less to me"?

God has a word for all problems.  Especially for yours and especially for mine. And with each word He supplies the power to obey. You and I can learn to be content under any circumstance with Him.

"... my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

No comments: