"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Friday, June 29, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: June 29

"Pray without ceasing" ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Here is a tiny "blue stone" verse with great depth of meaning. Such depth, in fact, that many pass by it as impossible. Or mystical, or out of reach. As not for today. For antiquity, perhaps, when people had time --- but not for today.

Yes, it is for today. In fact, this little verse and its equivalent verses which assured me I could live minute by minute in direct contact with Christ, drew me to become a Christian in the first place! I was a rank materialist. But the plasmist tells us the "Lord hath fashioned our hearts alike." My heart, like every other human heart, was fashioned to be near the heart of God. It is restless and empty and cold as long as it is along and wandering. We need constant contact with God.

I {Eugenia Price, the author] have found in my own experience that I can "pray without ceasing" and still get my work done. I can "pray without ceasing" and still catch trains and write books and wash dishes and make beds and press clothes and sleep and eat and pack and unpack and laugh and weep and answer letters and live out my days as a member of the human race. Thomas Kelley, in his lovely "Testament of Devotion," calls it living on two levels at once. Praying is being aware of God. Praying without ceasing is being constantly aware of Him.

He has a part in our relationship with Him, and so do we. Our part is to "pray without ceasing." To be inwardly aware of Him, even though we are in the midst of a board meeting! This requires practice for us, but it is gloriously possible. His part is kept faithfully second by second. His promises are trustworthy because He is God. And He has said, that for His part, He ---

"... will never leave thee, nor forsake thee ... Lo, I am with you alway."

No comments: