"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: April 15


"When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language; Judah was his sanctuary and Israel his dominion" ~ Psalm 114:1-2

We long to hear God's voice and yet when we hear it, we so seldom recognize it as His. The physical sound of it may vary, but when we know Him, we can recognize that it is God who speaks --- if we want to. Too often, hearing Him means obedience, and we prefer to remain deaf. But God does speak through human voices and for the next four days of sharing among my [Eugenia Price, the author's] "red stones" I want to share with you a rare experience when I heard God's own voice in the voice of my very dear friend, Rosalind Rinker, early one morning when I was speaking in Seattle, Washington. In her morning devotions, Psalm 114 "came alive" to her and she phoned me to tell me she "had a word from the Lord for me." And then she began to share what we will share in these four pages. Psalm 114 had been a blur to me before. Now it fairly shouts victory. I shall be forever grateful to her.

The first two verses which make up our "red stone" above, simply say this: any temptation has a touch of "Egypt" in it. In us all is a shred of longing to go back to "Egypt" even though we "enjoyed" it in slavery. God leads us ever farther away, if we obey.  And the memories dim. Now and then, however, we look back. But all along the way, "Judah was his sanctuary and Israel his dominion." We are His chosen people. "... I have chosen you ..." And just as surely as "Judah was his sanctuary," so are we.  No matter about our conflicts over the things we've left behind. God dwells in us. We can just keep walking. We need not feel His presence. He is there. We can just go on.
"... for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee."
* It is suggested that you read Psalm 114 each of these 4 days.

No comments: