"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, March 12, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: March 12

"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I" ~ Psalm 61: 1, 2
Why is this among my [Eugenia Price, the author's] "red stone" verses? Do you recall the legend about the ruby? In olden times, the ruby was considered a safeguard against impending danger. It was supposed to lose its brilliance when danger came near. You and I still need safeguards against danger. And temptations are our warnings that it is at hand. The "red stones" in our collection of verses from God's Word go far beyond the old superstition about the ruby. Christ has come and in us, if we have received Him, He is living His life. Our "red stones" are true safeguards, because they speak of His life within us, and we must be constantly reminded that He was and is without sin! If He is being permitted to "be Himself" in us, there is no such thing as too much temptation for His followers. But we must be willing to be delivered. We must truly cry out to be free, when our hearts are overwhelmed with temptation to give in to anything. The 'rock that is higher than I" is available. It is perfectly defended on all sides. It is impregnable. God wants, not only to lead us to the "rock that is higher than" our earth-pulls, He wants to keep us there. No temptation ever swamps us unless we are willing to be swamped. When our hearts are overwhelmed with grief, with longing, with lust, with greed, with worry, with anxiety, with fear --- the "rock" is there. It is high enough. And the Lord is a God with a shepherd heart. He wants to lead us there. To safety. If we are willing to be led.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting ... to the rock that is higher than I."

No comments: