"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Monday, January 2, 2012

Pleasant Stone Devotional Meditation: January 2

"I am the Lord; that is my name: ... and new things I declare: before they sprung forth I tell you of them" ~ Isaiah 42:8a, 9b
If we believe Jesus Christ Himself when He declares Himself to be "the beginning and the end," we also believe Him when He declares that "I and the Father are one." So the Prophet Isaiah, writing of "the Lord" wrote of this same Jesus Christ who Himself is the beginning and the end. But we do not begin merely with the miraculous birth of Jesus, nor with the tender healer of mankind's pain and sickness and sin. We do not dare even to begin with the sacrificial death of Jesus. We dare only to begin with the Living Lord Jesus who was in the beginning and before it, who got up and walked out of that tomb and who lives on this our second day of sharing and forever. And who promises to tell us of the new things before they "spring forth"! "I am the Lord; that is my name: ... and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them." Does He mean He will warn us exactly of each upcoming failure or tragedy or success? No. If He did, we would begin to depend upon His warnings. Tap this "clear stone" lightly and watch it cleave to show you this new and deeper truth: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." And this Lord has already overcome whatever comes to us in this or any new year. If it is tragedy, He has overcome it. If it is sickness, He has overcome it. If it is death, He has overcome that. If it is sudden success, He has overcome that. Whatever comes, "before they spring forth," Jesus Christ Himself tells us that He has already overcome it!
I am the Lord: that is my name...

No comments: