"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth." ~ Deuteronomy14:2

Thursday, September 18, 2008

O Simple Ones, Learn Prudence; O Fools, Learn Sense.

I got caught up earlier this year on discussions centering around worldviews. What struck me as these discussions unfolded was the inability of those who were not faith based to dialogue without deriding people of faith in their zeal to "debate" their positions. In bas-relief, the differences in perspective became apparent - and I received a lesson in real time of the fundamental differences between faith based thought processes and those that are not. What I witnessed was a clash between the carnal and spiritual cultures. Carnal thought processes seek to interpret based on the world as they perceive it to be and come to conclusions based on the analytical or logic that is firmly grounded in "fact" or the absence of it. Faith based thought processes seek to understand the world in light of the wisdom given in their holy texts and accept that there are unseen forces at work that they may not know or understand. They are teachable. As a Christian, I am called to conform to a spiritually based worldview and develop thought patterns that are based on the Gospel. Having accepted the reality of God, we are told to unstop our ears, open our hearts and minds, and to be teachable. The thought pattern that the reverence and respect for God in all circumstances brings true knowledge.

Proverbs 1:7 (English Standard Version) 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fear is reverence to the ultimate when speaking of God. God hates evil. If we are His, we hate what He hates, pride and arrogance can have no place with us. We are no more than what God has allowed us to be. If we have pride, it should be pride in that we are His and not our own. It is vital to abandon a pridefulness and assume an attitude of humility in order to be teachable and receive the instruction and wisdom of the Gospel. We see over and over in the Bible instructions for us to hear. This has to do with our receiving them down into our inner being. When we open our inner ears up to the things of God, we shall grow in understanding; for He is the truth. The absolute truth, the way and the light. To get wisdom, we must activate our will to receive it. This wisdom is not hiding and coming out at night as the harlot and the foolish man. It is freely given and available to those who are able to fear God, study the scriptures and to come into a personal right relationship with Him.

Father God,

You who illuminate the world,

Illuminate also my heart,

So that I may be humble and teachable in your Word.

Create in me the attitude necessary

to grow in the wisdom of the Gospel.

Bring me into right relationship with you

so that I may be prudent.

Bless me,

so that All of my words are righteousness;

there is nothing untoward or perverse in them.

Amen

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Three things I am grateful for today:

1. That my husband's injury yesterday was minor

2. For the desire to grow in spiritual maturity

3. For a neck that has begun to move properly and restoring it without surgery

Proverbs 8 (English Standard Version)

The Blessings of Wisdom 1 Does not wisdom call? Does not understanding raise her voice? 2 On the heights beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand; 3 beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud: 4"To you, O men, I call, and my cry is to the children of man. 5 O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense. 6 Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right, 7 for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. 8 All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.9 They are all straight to him who understands, and right to those who find knowledge. 10 Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold, 11for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. 12"I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, and I find knowledge and discretion. 13The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. 14I have counsel and sound wisdom; I have insight; I have strength. 15By me kings reign, and rulers decree what is just; 16 by me princes rule, and nobles, all who govern justly. 17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me. 18 Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and righteousness. 19My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver. 20I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice, 21granting an inheritance to those who love me, and filling their treasuries. 22"The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old. 23Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth. 24When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water. 25Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth, 26before he had made the earth with its fields, or the first of the dust of the world. 27When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, 28when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep, 29when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command,when he marked out the foundations of the earth, 30then I was beside him, like a master workman,and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always,31 rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man. 32"And now, O sons, listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways. 33Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. 34Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. 35for whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the LORD, 36but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death."

No comments: